Saturday, February 6, 2010

Cerclage Procedure

Yesterday morning about 7am Dan and I left our house on our way to Suburban Hospital for my cervical cerclage procedure. They had me check in at 7:30 for a 9:30am procedure. When we arrived I was given an IV and all my vitals were checked. When it was time for the procedure they sent Dan to the waiting room and me to the OR. I had not really thought about this moment up until this moment. When I walked into the OR the song, "I can only imagine" by Mercy Me, was playing on the radio. At that time it all hit me and I started to cry. My nurse was so wonderful and helped me to calm down before the anesthesiologist came in to give me my spinal anesthetic, much like an epidural. This part was not nearly as bad as I had envisioned. Once my whole bottom half as numb the procedure started.
Dr. Koontz, our perinatologist, is a hoot! He talked with me through the whole procedure that only took about 20 minutes. He did tell me that he was very happy that we decided to have this done. After seeing my external cervix, he was convinced that we had made the right decision. There was very little for him to work with. He told me when all was done that he stitched me up as best he could and that he didn't want me to be active at all until the follow up appointment next Thursday- this means not going back to work either. My boss doesn't know this yet, so I am hoping that he will let me work from home this week.
After the procedure I was wheeled into recovery where Dan met me. Pretty much they wanted me to hang out until I could walk. The nurse was also checking the babies during this ordeal. She couldn't get baby A's (my active baby)heartbeat with a Doppler so she said she wanted to "cheat" and get the ultrasound machine out. Dan and I got to see our babies again! This is always such a treat!
After about an hour and half I was ready to go home. The nurse unhooked all my probes, IV, catheter, and blood pressure cuff and just mentioned that I would need to void (pee) before I left. I had had a sprite and some water during my recovery stay so I definitely felt like I could accomplish this and go home.
The nurse told me that sometimes the catheter can play tricks on your bladder and it can be tough to void. To make a long story short I drank 3 huge jugs of water and after 4 tries, I finally got to go home. This was probably the most frustrating part!
We got home around 2pm and I went straight to sleep for a couple of hours. My wonderful husband has been taking excellent care of me and we have had many well wishers stop in to visit, bring food and gifts! We are so very blessed and happy that this leg of the journey is over.
The most positive part of the day was seeing the babies and getting a sneak peek of what is to come for us- The IV, epidural, OR and recovery area.

No comments:

Post a Comment